UWONET Vision and Mission
UWONET envisions a Uganda free from all forms of gender based discrimination; and upholding human rights and the principles of gender equity and equality, hence fostering equal opportunities and effective participation at all levels, recognising women contributions.
UWONET’s mission is to promote and enhance networking, collective visioning and action among membership and with different actors working towards development and the transformation of unequal gender relations in the Ugandan society.
Civil society organizations are the key ways through which the citizens or communities can hold their governments accountable. In order to achieve good governance and enhance women’s role in accountability processes, participation of civil society in governance at all levels sub county, district and national needs to be stepped up. However the civil society capacities at the grassroots remains a slow and inactive driver for social accountability processes. To achieve gender equality and equal participation and representation of women in leadership and decision making, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) capacities need to be strengthened.
As part of its strategic objective four, UWONET aims to work with grassroots women organizations and civil society at large. It also aims at building strategic partnerships to provide and foster women’s roles in governance.
Overview of the Project
This programme implemented with support from the European Union (EU) seeks to enhance women’s oversight capacity to participate in socio economic and political processes in the regions of Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja;
- Enhance capacity of women and young people to participate in good governance and social accountability processes.
- To facilitate Civil Society Organisations (CSO) capacity development to participate in Local Government (LG) planning, monitoring and advocacy for effective social service delivery.
- To provide relevant information for effective civic engagement between duty bearers (CSOs, LGs) and right holders
A capacity needs assessment of Civil Society organizations is one of the activities under the project that is aimed at analyzing the capacities of CSOs in the different districts of operation to asertain their strengths and weaknesses. UWONET as a Network focuses on information generation which is informed by having accurate information about the gaps that exist and how the project will impact on women.
Objectives of the capacity needs assignment
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the CSOs in regards to capacity and operation.
- Identify the capacity gaps that need to be strengthened in the skills development training.
- Identify Information gaps in regards to participation and implementation of Social Accountability processes.
The assignment will include interviews with different civil society organisations and key respondents as well as focus group discussions with the community and making a comprehensive report.
UWONET officials will provide reports and any other necessary information .
Under the guidance of the Director of Programmes and the Programme officer the consultant will
- Propose a draft outline of the content of the Capacity needs assessment.
- Carry out the interviews in the six districts of Yumbe, Kotido, Abim, Agago, Lamwo and Kaboong
- Develop a draft and final version of the capacity needs assessment report acceptable to UWONET standard.
- Update the report if needed.
The Consultant is expected to produce:
- An inception report covering her interpretation of the ToRs, statement of methodology, work plan and tools.
- Draft assessment for validation
- Final report
The assignment is expected to last for 15 working days from the 25th of May to the 15thof June 2012. UWONET will review the progress of the needs assessment and expect the final draft on the 20th June 2012. During this period the consultant will carry out tasks related to the assignments and a meeting will be organized discuss the draft report with the secretariat before submitting the final report.
Competencies and Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in Social work or related discipline
- Advanced degree
- Proven and substantial experience research and Advocacy.
- At least ten years experience in the field of Gender and development.
- At least ten years experience in conducting needs assessment ( evidence required)
Excellence in English written and Oral.
Deadline of submission of application is 22nd May 2012.